Tuesday, November 15, 2005

I'm a Bad Netizen, I Know

But I hate registering for every goddamn website I go to, just to read one article or skim one ad or check out one posting or... you get the idea. I know it's a small price to pay for free access, blah blah blah... but there are times when I just don't want to be bothered. It's awful and selfish of me, but it's true.

Thank goodness for www.bugmenot.com, where my fellow bad apples pool their registrations. Just go there, grab someone else's info and try and log in under it. Usually you're good to go. (You can also, of course, contribute working log-in info to the BugMeNot pool, which would make you a good citizen among the bad apples, I suppose.)

If even that's too much trouble, there's an even easier way. If you switched to Firefox, as I suggested, there's a BugMeNot extension. Once it's installed, when you land at a site that wants you to log in, just right-click in the log-in box, and you get logged in automatically as someone else.

3 comments:

Linnet Woods said...

This is one of the funniest things I've heard all night! Icouldn't agree more abou the iritation of being expected to give my hat size and my mother's maiden name to people I have never met (and will probably never want to once I have seen what they are offering) just so I can go and have them pitch their wares at me.

Oops! I didn't actaually come here to rant...

Linnet Woods said...

... or to litter your deliciously crisp blog with my spelling errors - sorry, carn't spel when I get excited! Should have used the preview. That's what it's there for. Yes, I know, I know...

Michael Markowitz said...

Hey, as long as you're agreeing with me AND telling me I'm funny, spelling does NOT count.

And this is EXACTLY the place to come to rant!