Monday, December 26, 2005

If You Get Confused By Technology

Don't feel bad, you're not alone. Even Paul Hochman, The Today Show's Tech Editor, is apparently one of you.

The show is doing a four-day series called "How To Work It" where they show you how to work the high-tech gifts you might have gotten for Christmas. A great idea. And this morning, on the first part of the series, Paul Hochman showed how to set up an iPod.

Okay, so first he made the baffling and ridiculous statement that the difference between an iPod and an MP3 player is that an iPod works with both Mac and Windows, but an MP3 player won't work with a Mac.

Wow.

Then he said all you have to do is download the iTunes software and install it... which seems to ignore that every iPod comes with an installation CD. If you're inexperienced enough to need a morning show segment -- and there's no shame in that -- it's much easier to put in a CD and follow the step-by-step directions than to download a file.

But anyway... the rest of the segment was straightforward and informative... until the mindbending conclusion.

When Campbell Brown asked how you get music from a CD into iTunes, Paul said it was really easy. Watching at home, I agreed: It is really easy.

Then Paul proceeded to demonstrate a procedure that was so twisted and complex, so counterintuitive, so weirdly contrived, that I had no idea how he even thought of it, much less thought newbies would understand it.

I can't wait to watch the rest of the week.

5 comments:

Sydelle Pearl said...

Paul Hochman is so inept and inarticulate. He seemed completely flustered in his piece on how to print digital pictures. I was afraid he was going to have an anxiety attack. Why did they replace the previous tech editor who was so charming and marvelous? Please find out. Thanks!

Sydelle Pearl said...

The former tech editor was Corey Greenberg and it looks like I found the answer to my own question!

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/report-apple-paid-tech-editor-15k-to-praise-ipod

Michael Markowitz said...

I know, I loved Corey Greenberg. I was even developing a sitcom based on a character like him. Then...

And the guy before Corey, Andy Pargh, was great, too. But they let him go when he had some legal troubles.

Hochman is weird. With all the digital cameras I've owned, I've NEVER used any of their crappy software, or even a cable. He really gave short shrift this morning to the confusion people are likely to have when they plug their camera into a PC and are prompted for CD's and drivers and so forth. Just pop out the card, Paul!

T. Lynn X. said...

I love Paul, I think he's wonderful, interesting, and very, very funny. I believe the Today Show sometimes needs to give more time to explain these processes, but I didn't have any trouble following him. As for Corey, Corey did have a fuller head of hair.

T. Lynn X. said...

I love Paul, I think he's wonderful, interesting, and very, very funny. I believe the Today Show sometimes needs to give more time to explain these processes, but I didn't have any trouble following him. As for Corey, Corey did have a fuller head of hair.