Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Is There a "Parents of the Year" Contest?

Actually overheard just now at Starbucks:

A 2-year-old boy is screaming and crying, just miserable. Neither parent has made any attempt to comfort or even touch the child. The mother looked at the father, laughing, shook her head, and said:

"He's so weird! What the fuck is his problem??"

Nice.

I'm no parent, and I'm certainly no expert. But if I had to guess, I'd say he's upset because his parents are sharing a huge chocolate chip cookie with each other but not with him. Or because he just realized his parents are ginormous assholes.

3 comments:

Lizze said...

That child is never ever going to be able to have a good relationship with Starbucks again. No seriously, I have seen that kind of 'incidents' as well and the thought "why have a kid when you don't like kids" always comes to my mind. I can't work that one out.

Michael Markowitz said...

You are 100% right, Lizze. When these people decided to have a child -- if they decided -- they weren't parenting, they were accessorizing.

Big Mama said...

I think they are both major awful mean buttwipes! My kids and I are lucky enough to have a Starbucks in our local grocery store and 1/2 the fun of shopping is getting them each a hot cocoa and me a capuccino. It is a great bonding experience. Oh and if they want that enormous cookie they can have it too!!! I like my kids, that's why I had them.