Sunday, December 04, 2005

Seeing Daylight


A couple of weeks ago I was disappointed by the execrable TV remake of The Poseidon Adventure. Today, I rented a relatively obscure 9-year-old disaster movie that was every bit as entertaining as Poseidon wasn't: Daylight, with Sylvester Stallone, Amy Brenneman, Stan Shaw and Viggo Mortensen, written by Leslie Bohem, and directed by Rob Cohen.

It's a 100% pure old-fashioned disaster movie, loosely inspired by the true story of an explosion and near-collapse in the Holland Tunnel. I know, you probably remember seeing it back in the day and not being wowed, but I'm telling you, if you like disaster movies, look at it again.

Astonishing special effects, some dazzling camera work, plus it's so refreshing to see an involving popcorn movie that just moves from one exciting set piece to the next. Sure, it's pure hokum -- there's even a dog -- and I might not remember it next week, but I was completely swept up in it today.

I'm thinking of revisiting all the genre movies of the '80's and '90's... I'll probably find out they, too, have aged a lot better than I expect.

No comments: