Saturday, December 03, 2005

That New Carpet Smell? Cat Urine... But Don't Blame the Cat!

This is the definition of a random household tip:

There is a chemical used in the manufacture of some carpets that attracts bacteria. This bacteria can give new carpet a faint smell similar to cat urine. This smell will only get stronger as more bacteria gets attracted... or, if you have a cat, as he/she joins the party. (If you've ever wondered why kitty just had to ruin your new rug.)

The moral: When you get a new carpet, really smell it, no matter how silly you feel. If it doesn't smell good to you, send it back. 'Cause trust me, it ain't gonna get better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you!!! I was starting to think I was crazy for taking that Mohawk rug back to the store because of the urine smell. I ran across this site while looking for a way to clean the smell out. Thank you for saving me the trouble!

Michael Markowitz said...

You are so welcome. It happened to me, I looked for the answer, and thought I'd share it. So glad to help.