Sunday, December 04, 2005

What If You Are Going To Australia, But You Still Want To Watch Your American TV Shows While You're There?

That's the question I was asked last night at a party (yes, I go to parties) by a friend (yes, I have friends)...

If you use Windows, it's really easy, thanks to the Slingbox and the Sony Location Free TV, just to pick two examples of systems that let you transmit shows from your home network to any computer in the world.

Also, I'm sure there must be a way to log onto your Windows home network so you can transfer TiVo to Go recordings.

But this friend is a Mac guy, and that's more challenging. Thank goodness I listen to the MacCast podcast, which had just covered this very topic, so I was able to seem smarter than I am and suggested CyTV.

Of course, actually making CyTV work looks really complicated, and that smart I cannot seem... so as far as hooking it all up goes, my poor friend is on his own. But don't feel too bad for him: he is, after all, going to Australia.

By the way, just as a postscript, according to the TiVo blog, Mac support for TiVo to Go and the iPod is scheduled for mid-2006.

No comments: