Sunday, January 22, 2006

A Hundred and Fifty Little Dates


The last few days all I see, everywhere I look, is this woman plugging her book, The Year of Yes, about how for one solid year she said yes every single time a guy asked her out. This is the book about the 150 dates she went on, including dates with a homeless guy, lesbians, a date at a strip club, the date with the man she went on to marry, blah, blah, blah...

Hold on. Time out.

An entire industry -- and more than 80% of our popular culture -- has grown up around the idea that women spend every night sitting at home, eating ice cream, waiting for the phone to ring. Or that they gather together in wisecracking, shoe-loving clusters of four and look in vain for suitable suitors.

Every woman I meet, every woman I see, every woman I read asks me to believe that they spend every Friday and Saturday night alone brushing their cats because men won't approach them. That their social lives are a disaster, that they never go out, that they never meet anyone, that they are destined to die alone and unloved.

But this woman got asked out 150 times in one year???

Am I the only one that thinks this is suspicious?

5 comments:

gina said...

This is HIGHLY suspicious. That works out to being asked out every other day. Unless she was working a street corner, there's just no way. No, you are not alone.

I am, but that's because I don't get asked out on a date every other day like some people do.

Michael Markowitz said...

Assuming she is not making most of it up... which I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt and do because I am in a good mood...

What must have happened is that she put out some kind of networking. Either she did some kind of personal ad or classified ad or craigslist ad or something...

Or her friends put out the word that, hey, I know someone who if you ask her out she's on this thing where she will guaranteed say yes.

Or she worked a street corner. Or construction sites. Or 8th Avenue.

But I would find it hard to believe that ANYONE gets asked out every other day. And if anyone did, gina, YOU would!

gina said...

Ha! You got me. I have to beat them off with a stick.

I agree, she definitely had to have done some serious networking, probably making dates with others while she was out on a date with someone else.

J Nieves said...

""The Year of Yes," is now in bookstores, and Hollywood's already calling."

It's true - The William Morris Agency is sending this out as a potential feature film adaptation. I smell a sequel, called "150 Nos"

Michael Markowitz said...

LOL! I love it!