Sunday, February 12, 2006

The Hardest Working Man in TV History


Alec Baldwin's mock battle with Steve Martin for SNL host supremacy has been mined to particularly funny effect this season. But let's show some love for the quiet storm: Richard Belzer's Detective John Munch.

Among the many amazing things about the superb Arrested Development finale-thon the other night was when the show became, by my calculation, the seventh series on which Richard Belzer has played John Munch:

Homicide: Life on the Street
The X-Files
The Beat
Law & Order
Law & Order: SVU
Law & Order: Trial By Jury
Arrested Development

I mean... wow.

There could be more that I don't know about, but even at seven that has to be a record... a remarkable one I can't imagine will be challenged any time soon.

6 comments:

gina said...

I couldn't believe Munch was on Arrested Development! Leading the "scrapbooking" class. LOL

I've seen him in all the shows you listed, except for The Beat. What was that?

Ellen said...

Scrapbooking??
Did you say SCRAPBOOKING??

That's like saying "Niagara Falls" to Bud Abbott or Curly.

shudder....

Michael Markowitz said...

gina, The Beat was a short-lived UPN cop show.

Ellen, you would have loved it... It was a total mockery of-- "you-know-what"

Ellen said...

Oh fudge!
Sorry I missed that.

Shoulda Tivo'ed, er um Moxi'ed it, but I'll Netflix the DVD's when the time comes.

Can you believe there are entire conventions devoted to...that "S" word?

Corey Bond said...

Apparently it's the ninth show on which he's played Munch. There's an entire blog dedicated to this sort of thing: Inner Toob.

Michael Markowitz said...

I'm skeptical of the nine number on the site you point to...

1. I don't remember Munch ever appearing on "L&O:Criminal Intent", but if I'm wrong I'm happy to admit it.

2. I don't consider appearing in the "Homicide" movie a different series than appearing in the "Homicide" series. The "Homicide" movie was, to my mind, simply another episode of the series.

So, as a purist, I'm sticking with seven. But that's still PLENTY!