Thursday, February 02, 2006

How to Get Great Sleep/How Not to Get Attacked By a Bull


I learned about this from the always-fascinating Lifehacker: It's an article from Psychology Today on "How to Get Great Sleep." One method I used to use (this is, of course, pre-Ambien) was to slowly and methodically tense, hold, and relax each individual muscle of my body, starting at my toes. I'd usually fall asleep long before I reached my head. Probably out of boredom.

Anyway, the Psychology Today article is interesting, and the Lifehacker commenters share their own sleep tips. It's possible half the world's problems could be solved if we all got better sleep, and the other half could be solved if we treated animals better.

Speaking of which, by now you might have seen the footage of the bull charging up into the stands at a bullfight. All the anchors I've seen report it the same way: Fortunately, no one was hurt. Oh, and the bull was killed.

Gee, you hate to think of the kind of people who'd gather for a bloodsport being injured.

It seems to me by sitting in an arena where an angry bull was going to be set free, they assumed a certain risk. I can't bring a sweater to my dry cleaner without being warned that, whoa, hey, whatever happens after that is my fault... but I'm supposed to feel bad for people who voluntarily sit near a raging bull while guys taunt and stab it? Forget cruel... that's stupid!

Meanwhile the bull was guilty only of being a bull, and of doing what frightened, provoked bulls do. That should not be a capital offense.

And for people who profit off of a "sport" that involves cruelty like this, how do they possibly sleep?

5 comments:

Max Koch said...

I'm so sorry no one was hurt but I'm EVER MORE sorry the bull was destroyed.

Yes.

I'm sorry again.

I'm afraid I'm almost one of "those people".

Corey Bond said...

I only saw a brief shot of this footage on TV, but when I did I immediately cheered for the bull. Too bad he wasn't able to take any of the audience with him, they had it coming.

Michael Markowitz said...

Now if we can just get the cockfight birds to wise up...

Corey Bond said...

That would be a great way to kick off a remake of Hitchcock's "The Birds."

Lisa said...

I just said last night that if I ever have kids I won't take them to the circus. I can't imagine watching a bunch of tortured elephants entertain a crowd who are too busy eating their cotton candy to realize what they're seeing. I love how people are angry at strippers who CHOOSE to get naked in front of men, but they have no problem forcing animals into cruel and unusual situations. Now, if animals could only stip for our amusement...