Saturday, March 25, 2006

A Few Idol Thoughts

Ordinarily I think the folks who mobilize to vote for the worst Idol contestant are pretty funny, but I gotta say, I don't know what they're thinking. Now that Kevin's off, they've thrown their ridicule behind Kellie, of all people. I don't think she's a joke candidate of all. I think Bucky or Paris or Taylor would be a much better bad choice. But, hey, to each his own.

Also, I had no idea there was a post-show-show, called American Idol Extra. It's on DirecTV and Fox Reality about a thousand times during the week, including in HD. Although cohost Mikalah Gordon is a Ghost of Idol Past I'd hoped would stay buried, the show is still a great fix for Idol fans. This week there were post-show interviews with, among others, Kevin and his family, Carrie Underwood, Barry Manilow, and a very genial-but-frank Simon.

And, finally, what's Idol without mini-scandal? This time it's that four of the contestants are not exactly amateurs (though since no one has a recording contract, everyone is technically eligible).

No one asked me, as usual, but IMHO, there is a huge difference between Ace and Lisa, and Mandisa and Paris.

Ace appeared as a day player on an episode of a UPN sitcom, and Lisa was in the L.A. company of The Lion King. Neither of those seems to me like it should matter in the world of Idol.

On the other hand, Mandisa has either opened for or sang backup with -- I'm not clear which -- Shania Twain, Charlie Daniels, Faith Hill, and Trisha Yearwood. And Paris has opened for Bow Wow. Those seem too "pro" to me. But the rules are the rules, and if they're eligible that's that.

No comments: