Friday, March 10, 2006

See Vintage George W. Bush Lies Tonight


In case you're tired of the new stuff...

C-SPAN3 is running the Gore-Bush debate from 2000 tonight at 7 Pacific/10 Eastern. If you don't get C-SPAN3 it's available in streaming video online.

I believe this is the debate from which I quoted in an earlier post. The one where Bush said he doesn't believe the military should be used for nation-building. I suppose this was before God told him to spread Democracy.

Anyway, it should be fun to watch, just to count all the lies and broken promises. And even though you can click above to read my earlier post in all its incisive glory, I will reprint the transcript portion below, because it must never be forgot:



BUSH: But let me say this to you [regarding Serbia]: I wouldn't use force. I wouldn't use force.

JIM LEHRER: You wouldn't use force?

BUSH: No.

LEHRER: Why not?

BUSH: Because it's not in our national interest to use force in this case. I would keep pressure. I would use diplomacy. There's a difference between what the president did, who I supported, [that's a lie] in Kosovo and this. And it's up for the people in this region to figure out how to take control of their country.

LEHRER: New question. How would you go about, as president, deciding when it was in the national interest to use U.S. force? Generally.

BUSH: Well, if it's in our vital national interests. And that means whether or not our territory -- our territory is threatened, our people could be harmed, whether or not our alliances -- our defense alliances are threatened, whether or not our friends in the Middle East are threatened. That would be a time to seriously consider the use of force.

Secondly, whether or not the mission was clear, whether or not it was a clear understanding as to what the mission would be.

Thirdly, whether or not we were prepared and trained to win, whether or not our forces were of high morale and high standing and well-equipped.

And finally, whether or not there was an exit strategy.

I would take the use of force very seriously. I would be guarded in my approach. I don't think we can be all things to all people in the world. I think we've got to be very careful when we commit our troops.

The vice president and I have a disagreement about the use of troops. He believes in nation-building. I would be very careful about using our troops as nation builders...

[I]f we don't do something quickly, we don't have a clearer vision of the military, if we don't stop extending our troops all around the world in nation-building missions, then we're going to have a serious problem coming down the road. And I'm going to prevent that. I'm going to rebuild our military power. It's one of the major priorities of my administration.

No comments: