Saturday, May 20, 2006

Using Your Cell Phone as a Modem

If you are stuck with no Internet access and you want to check your email or do a few webby things really quick, there is no better solution than using your cell phone as a modem for your laptop. You can use a USB cable or bluetooth (if your phone's got it); I used to use my Treo 650, which gave me dial-up speed. Now, with my MM-A920, I get much higher speeds.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but at least on Sprint, modem usage is supported as long as you have an unlimited data plan and you're not a pig about it. Fair is fair: no long sessions, no torrents or other massive downloads, and obviously, no VOIP (which would be stupid, since you do have a cell phone). In other words, be courteous: Get on and get off.

Lifehacker has a primer on how to go about hooking up. Over the last year or so my bacon has been saved many a time by this method. It's a good thing to learn.

No comments: