Monday, May 01, 2006

Wii Hate It

I am an avid gamer, but I long ago gave up on Nintendo. Fair or not, my perception was that the company was too focused on what my 10-year-old self would have called "baby games." I like to play games like Burnout and GTA, and I just don't see those blending into the Gamecube universe.

Nintendo's next-gen box, presumed to bring Nintendo into the 21st Century, has finally had its official name revealed. The name of the console that will take on the Xbox 360 and the PS3 is:

Wii.

Pronounced "wee."

As in taking a wii wii.

Will the next Nintendo handheld be called "Poopypants"?

4 comments:

norm said...

The next project I'm working on is for the Wii.

Pray for me...

(...and my project, which is a spiffy-fine game, on a platform that looks cool enough, but has a name that I hope will sound better to markets outside the US.)

Michael Markowitz said...

I sense a non-English-speaking marketing department behind all this. When you really think about it, GameBoy and GameCube are very "Japanese" names.

Sean Tisdall said...

What did you think about the Penny Arcade comic about the new name?

(And my verification for this post had a 'ii' in it. Wii: Why?)

Anonymous said...

It's a darn smae the PS3 controllers are called 'PooS' huh genius?