Friday, June 09, 2006

Hey, Ann Coulter, Did This Little Girl Enjoy Losing Her Mother?


The most expensive TV ad buy of the 2004 presidential campaign was one featuring Ashley Faulkner, who lost her mother in the World Trade Center. She and her father, Lynn, appear in the spot. Here is how Salon described it back in November, 2004, in an article titled "The TV Ad That Put Bush Over the Top":

Ashley appears on camera and says of Bush, "He's the most powerful man in the world, and all he wants to do is make sure I'm safe, that I'm OK." Her father, a self-described Republican, is also shown in the ad. As photos of Bush at ground zero appear, Faulkner says, "What I saw was what I want to see in the heart and soul of the man who sits in the highest elected office in our country."

Clearly, I don't begrudge them the right to speak their minds. This is America, after all... at least for a little while longer. And I would never be so monstrous as to suggest that this little girl and her father
enjoyed or wallowed in their terrible loss, simply because they tried to turn it into something positive. Simply because I disagree with their politics doesn't mean I deny their motives or their humanity.

The fact that Ann Coulter is incapable of understanding that you can disagree with someone yet still consider them a human being is what makes her less of one. And the fact that she ignores every example like this one that disproves her ridiculous "theories" proves she shouldn't be given any more attention. She's a joke, and not a very funny one.

2 comments:

King a England said...

nothing quite as fun to watch, as someone who fights fire with fire.
"incapable of understanding you can disagree with someone and still consider them a human being", unfortunately seems to sum up most
Republicans that I know or see in the media lately.

King a England said...

nothing I enjoy more than witnessing someone fight fire with fire.

"incapapble of understanding that you can disagree with someone and still consider them a human being" seems to sum up most of the "Republicans" I know and see in the media lately.