Thursday, August 03, 2006

The One Question People Ask Me All The Time...

... "Sir, are you aware it's unlawful to loiter in a sorority quad?"

But the question I'm asked second-most often is "What's your newest gadget that you love?"

My newest is a two-way tie between a new gadget and a not-so-new gadget.

I'll start with the not-so-new one, but it's new to me, and it's awesome. The Uniden ELBT595 has been around a while, but it took me a while to get over my skepticism that it could do all it said it could do. Of course it's a 5.8 GHz digital expandable system; I love expandable systems, because I'm addicted to phones but don't have the jacks to feed my addiction. You can even use any of the handsets as an audio baby monitor (or eavesdrop on another room, if you're that kind of person).

But here's the cool part: the system has Bluetooth. Not only can you use your favorite headset, but you can also link the system with your Bluetooth cell phone. What this means (now follow this) is that you can set it up so if your cell phone is in the house and it rings, the Uniden knows it and all your phones will ring. Then you can answer your cell from any phone. Cool, huh?

But wait, it gets better: You can also pick up any phone and choose whether to place the call via your land line or your cell. What this means is you can use your cell minutes for long distance calls, and make unused minutes a thing of the past.

The other gadget is the Pioneer Inno, the newest member of the XM radio family. This is an amazing advance over the previous XM portables in features, signal quality and design. Just incredible.

If anyone else has something new and fun, of course, let us know in the comments. Real world experiences are sometimes more useful than reviews.

1 comment:

This Girl said...

If the gadget doesn't have to be useful,then I would recommend the DS Lite, Nintendo's latest portable gaming option. I am by no means a video game player, having learned my lesson that pressing every button all at once doesn't do any cool moves and really hurts your thumbs a long time ago. But with the DS Lite, I have more fun than I know what to do with. I want a cool cell phone that you can tippy-type on, but in lieu of that, I take tetris on the DS Lite... or Mario. My choice for cool new gadget. If it has to be functional, then nothing.