Thursday, September 28, 2006

More Badvertising


I saw a commercial -- I believe it was for Oldsmobile -- and it was a stumper.

A woman walks through the office. Everyone cowers as she walks by. She's apparently the office bitch, but we don't know why, since she looks pleasant enough. However, no one else in the office is actually working. Then again, neither is she.

Then she gets in the elevator, which makes the poor guy she's standing with nervous. The pen in his pocket starts to leak all over his shirt. (Because he's nervous? I don't know.)

Cut to her, driving her Oldsmobile, laughing hysterically at the poor guy.

Message I took away from the commercial? Douchebags drive Oldsmobiles.

Did I get it right?

5 comments:

Boski93 said...

You hit that one right on the head.

norm said...

well, douchbags need to drive too...though they usually pick Ford trucks or something built "ram tough"

In fact, judging by my daily experiences on the road, they're a sizable demographic.

...And then there are all the wanna be douchbags.
Snivelling weenies who dream of attaining the hights of douchbag-ness exemplified by the lady in the commercial.

peeky said...

hmm. the secret message I get is: men are terrified of women (BOO!) and as a result, they create commercials like this one. another secret message is that women are killjoys. see: every sitcom.

Michael Markowitz said...

Women may be the killjoys on every sitcom but that's a better lesson for little girls than little boys learning that that all men are idiots and that women are the boss of them.

Note the new commercial where the mother and daughter share a laugh at how much the son's room smells while he grins like a moron.

norm said...

Here's something kind of related to where this thread is going.
My wife and I recieved a set of "Mr. and Mrs. Wonderful" talking dalls one Valentines day.
Mr. Wonderful says things like:

"You've been on my mind all day. That's why I bought you these flowers.

You know honey, why don't you just relax and let me make dinner tonight.

The ball game is not that important, I'd rather spend time with you.

You know, I think it's really important that we talk about our relationship"

Mrs. Wonderful says things like:

"Don't feel bad honey, I forgot it was our anniversary too!

You don't need a glass, just go ahead and drink right out of the carton.

A new reversible drill, oh honey it's just what I needed!

Are you sure it's ok to wash this shirt? You've only worn it for a couple of days.

It really doesn't matter if you leave the toilet seat up, it makes it easier to clean."

You probably see where I'm going with this.
Mr. Wonderful is very thoughtful and attentive...unlike real men.

Mrs. Wonderful is very understanding of how thoughtless and unnatentive men are.