Monday, November 20, 2006

How Ya Doin'?


One of the biggest thrills in my professional life was working with Joe Walsh on two episodes of Duckman. He appeared in two episodes I wrote and produced, and I am not ashamed to say that the only reason I wrote him into them was the hope that I could meet him. (I even thought of bringing my guitar for him to autograph, but it seemed such a lame thing to do so I chickened out.)

He was (and is) someone I always admired. And he didn't disappoint.

He was warm and funny and did a great job for us. And in the second show we did, I asked him to sing a version of "Life's Been Good" with new lyrics I'd written for the episode. I thought he would just do it then and there, with his acoustic guitar, in the studio. Instead he asked if he could work on it at home.

We were stunned to receive a DAT a few days later with a fully-produced version of the song, which Joe had done especially for us. It was very generous of him, and I will always be grateful that he took the time.

Today is Joe's birthday, and I just wanted to wish him a happy one, and to remind everyone that sometimes you meet celebrities and they are even nicer than you expect.

No comments: