Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Sometimes It's Hard To Argue With Vegetarians


From Men.Style.com's article about things available abroad but not here in the U.S... including this cute little fella, the Ortolan:

Few illicit delicacies offer such culinary sensation mixed with ethical dubiousness. That's thanks to the way Ortolan is prepared: Before they're cooked, the little birds are drowned in Armagnac—right after they've had their eyes poked out. A minor quibble to some. "They're magnificently gamy, succulent, mildly alcoholic, and even a little painful to eat—the bones and organs all burst in your mouth," says Anthony Bourdain. Or at least that's what it sounded like he said over all the crunching.

Am I the only one who feels like poking Anthony Bourdain's eyes out?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's not the half of it. Part of the "experience" includes eating the bird with a towel over your head. Some say this is to mask how horrific eating the bird is, but the purists say it is to trap the aroma and increase the taste. Weird.

Michael Markowitz said...

Oh my God, sick just got sicker... I know if I ever ate this I would wear a towel over my head for the rest of my life out of shame.

By the way, couldn't they at least wait until after the poor thing dies to gouge its eyes?

peeky said...

bleccccch. the french peoples have no problem eating faces and heads and organs. xo, Squeamish

Tod Hunter said...

Wow. I thought it was bad enough that you eat 'em whole.

--t

Richard said...

Horrific. I usually like Anthony but his penchant for exotic cuisine has made him a geek in a freakshow.

Michael Markowitz said...

Bourdain seems to me like the kind of guy who was afraid he'd be called "fag" for liking cuisine, so he's overcompensating, turning himself into some kind of faux Hemingway. It fits him like a flight suit on George Bush.

Michael Markowitz said...

tod, everyone has their own line in the sand... mine is that I try never to eat anything that still looks like it did when it was alive. If I can recognize the animal, take it back.

Once a friend and I went to a restaurant and ordered fish... and when our dinners came we just about died. Now I may be a rube, but I had never heard of this before: The fish had been grilled or broiled whole, scales and all, and was wedged into a mountain of rice so it was standing up! Frozen in a grim tableau, eyes looking right at us!!

We opted for another entree.