Tuesday, January 09, 2007

All Right, Already, A&E... Uncle!


In an earlier post I griped about cable channels that punish their viewers by running the same promos over and over and over. Well, we have a new Grand Champion.

There are some shows on A&E that I happen to like, such as
24 and MI-5 and Biography. And, as faithful readers know, I have an unfortunate addiction to CSI: Miami, which is on A&E roughly sixteen times a day. I'm sure my family and friends will stage a Caruso-vention soon, but for now, it's one of my few vices.

Now it just so happens that A&E is about to start running a show which I loved when it debuted, but gradually came to dislike and stopped watching. It's a show about a family involved in organized crime. (I know, I know, go ahead and shun me.) I don't watch the show on HBO, and the fact that A&E will be running it without cussing and breasts isn't really likely to bring me back into the tent.

Every hour of
CSI: Miami on A&E is comprised of 30 minutes of CSI and 30 minutes of the same three long promos for this particular show. Unfortunately, TiVo has not invented a forward fast enough to keep these promos from spoiling my forensic fun.

So I've officially taken A&E off my "Channels I Receive" and I'll stick to DVDs for the shows I like. One more for the list of what's ailing the TV industry.

(By the way, the number one reason people aren't watching TV? Capital One commercials.)

8 comments:

norm said...

Have you set me up again?
Am I falling into a pun-trap?
You said:

"I have an unfortunate addiction to CSI: Miami, which is on A&E roughly sixteen times a day. I'm sure my family and friends will stage a Caruso-vention soon, but for now, it's one of my few vices."

So...
A Miami Vice?

norm said...

I'd like to make an apology before my first response even posts.
I know you've never "set me up"
before...I was just babbling to distance myself from the pun.

Michael Markowitz said...

Norm, I wish I were that clever!! Thank you for thinking I might be so Benchley-an.

gina said...

I saw this post title in my Google feed for shouldveaskedme and I *knew* you were talking about the Sopranos promos!

I watch a LOT of A&E - including the so-bad-it's-kind-of-good CSI: Miami, which, I'll have you know, I am always calling Miami Vice by mistake - and I've gotten to the point of reciting the ad as it plays, not just verbatim, but in a perfect impersonation of Edie Falco, etc.

"We have guns in this house!"

I love A&E too much to walk away, though.

Michael Markowitz said...

lol, Gina (aka Vazaz), you are stronger than I am. I hope you imitate Carmela asking, "What does she have that I don't???"

(If I remember correctly, "she" was Tony's young, hot, sex-starved mistress, so the answer would take too long.)

Also, the scene between Meadow and Tony in the front seat of the car is the longest, dullest clip I've ever seen. The only more boring clip they could have chosen is the endless sushi-ordering from the last episode I watched.

Michael Markowitz said...

BTW, the thing I love most about CSI: Miami [Vice] is that at the end of all of Horatio' scenes, he does what my dear friend Richard used to call a "Muppet Exit." He rocks back before propelling forward, Muppet-style. I'm hooked!

thisisgina said...

Muppet Exit! That's awesome. My sister Sheila and I do the scream from "Won't Get Fooled Again" after every one of Horatio's patented one-liners and Muppet Exit, lol.

We also yell "Shaaarrrk!" and "Don't let him go into shock!" during the A&E promos.

Michael Markowitz said...

I showed them!

"A&E clipped the competition Wednesday night with the basic-cable debut of The Sopranos, averaging 3.86 million total viewers and a 3.24 household rating from 9 p.m. to 11:11 p.m., making it the most-watched premiere of an off-net drama in cable history"