Monday, January 15, 2007

Random Jibba Jabba

  • The "Powerhouse" Visa commercial, showing check card customers moving through a coffeehouse like a well-oiled machine until a cash customer jams up the works, is both counterintuitive and insulting. When have you ever been in a line and been sorry to see someone in front of you use cash? And how dare any business make a customer feel like crap for using cash to pay for his purchase? A customer should be able to pay with Krugerrands if he wants to.

  • Martin Luther King, Abraham Lincoln and George Washington were such great men, I wish their holidays were as big a deal as Turkey Day.

  • I've said this before, but it still hasn't sunk in (with anyone but Russ Feingold): When George Bush says that no one should criticize his Iraq policy unless they can come up with a different plan for victory, it's a ludicrous premise that should be rejected. If a building were on fire, and someone was spraying a tanker full of gasoline on it, so now the fire was raging out of control, no one can come up with a way to stop the fire... but it certainly doesn't mean that you keep spraying gasoline on it!

  • 24 kicked ass last night.

  • Yesterday on Reliable Sources, Howard Kurtz bemoaned the fact that a "serious journalist" like Barbara Walters had gotten involved in the O'Donnell-Trump feud. Barbara Walters is a "serious journalist" like O.J. Simpson is a "football hero."

  • Must 80% of the music on Grey's Anatomy be as twinkly and twee as the loathsome theme song? I like the show, but need a shot of insulin before I watch.

  • Literally nothing happened on Desperate Housewives last week. Which is why I didn't record it this week.

  • Visual Hub may be the greatest software ever. Ever.

  • TiVoDecode Manager may also be the greatest software ever. I would imagine it works beautifully in tandem with something else mentioned in this post. (Unfortunately, the Digital Millennium Copyright Act could be interpreted as prohibiting my being more specific.)
  • By law, every DVD box set should be required to have one-sided discs, and to have every disc clearly marked, i.e. "24, Season 5, Disc 2." Some DVDs don't even have this info on the menus! (I'm looking at you, Buffy.) It would be even better if the episodes were listed on the physical disc. Some discs are either unadorned or only have a character picture on every disc... which is useless to those of us who don't keep them in their original packaging.
  • I don't care what anyone says: I love The Apprentice.

5 comments:

Michael B. said...

Amen on the Visa commercial. It's actually made me start carrying around more cash.

And 24. My God! I can't remember the last time a tv show had me on the edge of my seat like that.

norm said...

Yeah.
But I have to admit...when I pull out some cash I always wonder if I'm going to enter my PIN code correctly...and if I push the wrong button at the wrong time, or "enter" instead of "accept"
Or if my cash doesn't scan right the first time...or if my cash is declined for some bizzare reason, like it's Christmas time and I've spent too much cash so they put it on hold until they can check and make sure someone else isn't using my cash without my consent...
And I always hate signing my name on my reciept after handing someone a twenty...with people in line just wishing I'd scribble faster and get the heck out of there.

It's things like that that make me glad I just use plastic most of the time.

Michael Markowitz said...

Amen to both of you.

Not to pick on a certain store, whose name rhymes with ShmadioShack, but since the one near me put in one of those card-swipey things, it has never ever worked. Not once. Every time you go, every customer: You check out using it... It doesn't work... The clerk turns it around to see if it says on the screen what you say it says... He clears the transaction and does it over manually... NEXT!

Seriously. Every time.

Of course, while we're at it, why is it that a computer and electronics store like CompUSA is still using the machine that "irons" a piece of paper onto your card so the numbers are imprinted. Seriously. It's a COMPUTER AND ELECTRONICS STORE and they're still, like, "franking."

Kristin said...

Franking. I love that word, and can't remember the last time I heard it.

Michael Markowitz said...

Given recent events, I no longer love The Apprentice