Monday, February 19, 2007

Cruel Shoes

I've written before about how ridiculous it is for women to fixate on shoes. No straight man cares what shoes you're wearing, so why punish your feet?

Of course every time a woman is a victim of her own low self-esteem, a pharmaceutical company gets its wings. So behold the video below: a draconian solution to a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place.

And take a good look at the woman profiled in this piece, who apparently was interviewed during a break from chasing moose and squirrel. Honestly: are her shoes really involved in drawing the line between "hot" and "not"? And frankly, isn't that line several football-field-lengths behind her?


2 comments:

David said...

Hi, Mike - I can't find a link to it, but I read an interesting article that claimed that some women with low self-esteem (especially overweight women) tend to focus inordinate attention on shoes because they are one part of bodily presentation that doesn't draw attention to the rest of the body, so some believe they detract attention from portions of the body of which a person is ashamed. Don't know whether it's true, but it's an interesting theory. Hope all is well with you - Dave

Michael Markowitz said...

Fascinating... makes sense. I mean makes sense to someone with low self-esteem... To the rest of the world they look ridiculous, teetering forward, tiptoeing to keep from falling over, and in obvious pain. NO ONE is attracted to that, ladies.

(Also, on a practical note, most men I respect who met a woman would run screaming if they found out she drops $800 on a pair of shoes. That is a rare hat trick: simultaneously the definition of "high maintenance" "shallow" and "batshit")

Women are never more attractive then when they're comfortable and confident. I've said it before, but it's worth repeating, since I say so little that is genuinely wise:

If you've ever in your life seen a movie, you'll notice that the woman in designer clothes ends up alone and humiliated, while Jennifer Aniston or Drew Barrymore, in their jeans and t-shirt and sneakers, end up with the guy.

As for women and their self-esteem, forgive me if I quote myself one more time, from my other isolated burst of wisdom:

"Most women who think they're hot are not as hot as they think they are, whereas most women who don't think they're hot are much hotter than they think they are."

I'm especially proud of that one. I call it "Markowitz's Razor."