Tuesday, February 13, 2007

"If I Knew Then"... "We All Thought"... "20/20 Hindsight"..."None of Us Had Any Idea At The Time"...

I knew. At the time. I weighed all the reports available to me, considered all the experts' opinions, and concluded that there were no WMD's, and that removing Saddam would cause horrible unrest and be a terrorism recruitment poster. I could see that Bush and Cheney were playing a shell game. I had bitter arguments with a former friend over the issue.

I'm not saying I'm a genius. I'm not. I'm just some guy. But the point is that a lot of people knew back then "what we know now." So whenever you hear phrases like those above, understand what you're hearing: excuses, rationalizations, evasions, and bullshit.

3 comments:

norm said...

Didn't Bush slam all the U.N. inspectors for being fools when they told him over and over that they couldn't find any WMDs?
I'm not saying they couldn't have been wrong...

And, now that I think of it, how could Bush have known they were right?
Wouldn't any reasonable person have completely disregarded the inspectors?
As Stephen Colbert says, You've got to go with your gut.

Michael Markowitz said...

Colbert knows best.

The people on site are always the least qualified to tell you what's really happening. They're bound by reality, which, as Stephen famously pointed out, "has a well-known liberal bias."

Sad-but-true, Joe Biden has told the story of being in an Oval Office meeting, and finally turning to Bush and saying, "How can you say these things when so many people tell you they're simply not true?" And Bush replied, "Because I _feel_ they're true."

Tragic and scary.

Mark said...

If I made decisions solely "on my gut" I'd get fired faster than you can say "strategery" and none of my decisions at work have life or death consequences.

This whole thing has me absolutely sick to my stomach. I must admit that I lapped up the WMD pablum at the time. I thought that surely they must know more than I do. I did think that Powell's presentation before the UN Security Council was compelling.

I believe that I, like most people I talk to, was caught up in the post 9/11 frenzy but frankly I'm a little disappointed in myself that I didn't look at all of this with more healthy skepticism.

You're right, it is tragic and scary but it is also very sad that there can't be a more collaborative effort to seek a solution rather than this meaningless debate over a "non-binding" resolution. It frosts me that Congress is so tied into knots about how best (in terms of their political future)to say something when all they end up doing is saying nothing. Chuck Haegle was right, "If you want a safe job, go sell shoes!"