Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Vinyl Destination

I used to spend way too much time in used record stores, doing the "walking finger-flick" through thousands of LP's, displayed in bins like musical Rolodex cards. I wasn't just looking for good music... I always had my eye out for truly bad music.

If you're like me, you miss those days. You miss "Dave's Record Collection" from Letterman's old NBC days. You miss the "floosh" from the speakers when you blew the dust bunny off the needle, you miss the smell of Discwasher fluid.

But then you remember how easily albums warped and cracked. And what a pain in the ass it was to stack nickels on the tone arm, or to land a stylus precisely between tracks so you could skip the stinkers. And there was always the hassle of flipping the album over.

I much prefer my iPod.

But if you want to take a fun, virtual trip through the worst LP's ever, you should head over to Frank's Vinyl Museum. The albums below are just the tip of the crapberg.

And I'm sorry to say that I remember the Ethel Merman album. There were a lot of used copies available back in the day.




No comments: