Wednesday, June 06, 2007

It Takes a Special Kind of Prick To Be This Big a Hypocrite

"Far left intolerance is off the chart. And there is no better example than reaction to the death of Reverend Jerry Falwell. Within hours of his demise, the far left hate machine cranked up. Now there's no question Jerry Falwell was at times intolerant himself. — Condemning gays and other groups and passing judgments on behavior that earned him the hatred of many.

But even if you dislike Falwell, let his family and friends grieve for a few days, OK? There's no reason to kick his dead body. ...

The far left Oregonian newspaper in Portland, "[Falwell] built an effective political organization at least partly by appealing to people's worst instincts."

The far left Baltimore Sun: "Claiming to be morally superior is a dangerous game." Well, isn't that what you do Baltimore Sun, every day? If you don't agree with your liberal positions, you guys label people bigots and fascists or worse. Don't you?...

There is such a thing as decency. And when somebody dies, you give it a few days. — Just another example of how out of control the SP far left movement in America is today.

-- Bill O'Reilly, The O'Reilly Factor, 5/17/07


I've been fascinated by this screed ever since I first saw it. I can't get it out of my mind. I finally had to write about it, even though there's already too much O'Reilly here today to suit me.

First things first: Jerry Falwell was perhaps the lowest form of life on Earth. I suspect if he ever had been given the prison sentence he so richly deserved, he would have ranked somewhere below the child molesters. They would have beaten the shit out of him, if touching him didn't make them feel dirty.

If there is an afterlife, it is my sincere hope that Falwell is spending Eternity getting
eaten by Idi Amin every morning, then shat out every night, only to be eaten again.

But back to Bill.

Seriously: Bill O'Reilly accused the
Baltimore Sun of claiming moral superiority.

And he did so in a chiding monologue about how no one but him remembers how moral people are supposed to behave.

You see it too, right?

Bill O'Reilly. Playing the "morally superior" card.

To his credit (and my surprise), Dennis Miller spoke up for sanity later in the show:

O'REILLY: Jerry Falwell, you saw the beginning of the program. You know, he's dead for three minutes, and they're kicking the living daylights out of him. What do you think?

MILLER: ...Bill, I might depart from you on this one...the newspaper things you showed didn't bother me. This man led a turbulent life. I'm not a big Reverend Falwell fan. And in the wake of a guy's departure like that, I think you're going to see some of that flotsam and jetsam come up. I didn't find what they wrote in the commentaries, at least the snippets you showed — I didn't read them in full — I didn't find that that reprehensible.

O'REILLY: All right. But they're basically saying he was an immoral man in, you know, less than 24 hours after he's dead. I don't care what they say next week. But isn't there a decorum here? Isn't there any class at all that we just let the family and the friends of Jerry Falwell have a few days?

MILLER: Well, I think you should put the guy in the ground. I think that the long knives should come out right after you put the shovels away. But not everybody thinks that way. There are people who got up on a daily basis and hate this guy's guts.

If they would boil it down to what the newspaper did, that's fine with me. At least that to me is showing a little decorum. The Marcotte thing, the Hitchens thing, yes, bad form, rude. But you know what? I don't care what anybody says about me while I'm alive much less when I'm dead, OK.

O'REILLY: But you're a different person, Dennis. You're not the mainstream guy, all right? I keep trying to explain that to you...Do you think that the far left is much more hateful than the far right? I mean, we don't have a big far right in this country anymore. But do you think — for example, you could call Falwell and his followers far right. Is the far left more hateful than they?

MILLER: Well, first off I think Falwell to some degree was a hateful guy. I got to say that.
If you're like me, you read that a few times to make sure you read it correctly: "I mean, we don't have a big far right in this country anymore."

But back to speaking ill in death of those who diminished the world in life... a.k.a. Jerry Falwell.

Bill held firm. No matter how much you dislike someone, no matter what they did, no matter how evil you may think they are, you have to wait out of respect to the family. Bill even had a length of time in mind: 2 or 3 weeks.

Yeah, that's right. No matter how evil someone was, you can't speak ill of him until two or three weeks after his death.

(Obviously, Bill showed no such restraint when it came to the Virginia Tech shooter or the Hussein family, but let's put that aside for the moment.)

In light of the above pronouncement from Mount O'Loofus, please enjoy/be repulsed by the following clip of O'Reilly kicking the freshly-dead corpse of poor Anna Nicole Smith. (And put on your official Maid of the Smug Mist slicker so you're not sprayed by moral superiority.)


No comments: