Monday, September 01, 2008

Yes, Senator McCain, We Get It. You Were a POW.

I can't criticize John McCain without making the obligatory qualification, which has been repeated by rote by so many so often that it's lost all meaning:

We are all grateful to Senator McCain for his service, and we respect his valor and sympathize with the terrible ordeal he endured....

Okay, I said it. Now:

John McCain used to insert "POW" into conversations inappropriately. Nowadays he is doing it WILDLY inappropriately, as in the Tonight Show clip below. (A good measure of whether something is irritating is whether it irritates me even more a week later.)

Also, when he says things like "I didn't have a kitchen table, I didn't have a table, I didn't have a chair" I almost expect one of Monty Python's Yorkshiremen to jump up from behind the couch. "You were lucky to have a cell! I was a POW in a shoebox!"

Anyway, here is McCain giving Jay Leno, to paraphrase Ned Flanders, the answer to a question no one asked. And below that, Keith Olbermann and Paul Rieckhoff discussing McCain's ceaseless cheapening of his own service.






No comments: