Sunday, January 11, 2009

Whatever Became of Me?



Hi, sorry, I've been away for quite a while. Er, you did notice, right? If not, never mind.


Anyway, I haven't really posted in a long while. Partly because I was very busy with the other things in my life. And partly because I was preparing for -- and then embarking on and then recovering from -- the biggest trip of my life.

I went on the MacMania 8 cruise of the Eastern Mediterranean. Obviously, the stops in Italy, Turkey, Cyprus, Egypt and Greece were incredible. (I think I could happily live the rest of my life in Oia on Santorini, pictured below.) But the computer and photography seminars onboard were fascinating, offering a rare chance to learn from and hang with pros like Sal Soghoian, David Pogue, Don McAllister and Lesa King. And the people I met were great. It was a fun, friendly group to travel with. I would recommend Insight Cruises' MacMania and other themed cruises wholeheartedly, and I can't wait to sail with them again.

(In fact, it's killing me that I can't do Macmania 9 in July. Leo Laporte and Andy Ihnatko are going, and I'm a huge fan. I hope they are also on Macmania 10!)

There was another reason I posted less and less, and it's a personal one, I guess. When I started this blog back in October, 2005, I was more or less the only person I knew who was doing this. Since then, some of the most unpleasant, unfunny people I know have started blogging, and the results have been so hacky and offputting that it felt icky to blog... like I was somehow swimming in a pool of water they'd fouled.

In fact, one blog is so irritating, so hacky, so constantly wrongheaded, that many times I would force myself to check in on it, just to make sure I wouldn't post on a topic covered there. And after a while, knowing I'd have to read that blog scared me off writing on this one.

But that's on me. I'll try to write more often, but I probably won't write regularly for a while. Just when I have something vitally important to write about, like American Idol. Or when something can't be done in a tweet.

And speaking of tweets, most of what I used to do here I'll now be doing on Twitter, where I'm markowitz. See you there, I hope.

3 comments:

Toga said...

Love your blog. Please don't stop.

norm said...

The cruise sounds great.
If you move to Santorini can I come to?
For a brief moment, when I was doing comics and realized I could live and work anywhere FedEx delivered, I floated the idea of moving to Greece.
For some reason, I never got around to it though...

As for blogging. I figure it's like talking or anything else. There are a lot of idiots (everyone's an idiot at some point)doing it but it doesn't mean blogging itself is stupid.
"stupid" is a relative term anyway. What one group finds interesting (trekkies sex fantasies, emo kids whining, poodle grooming, pro lacrosse rivalries) might seem dumb to everyone else, but as long as they're into it, who cares.

....well, except for the dog grooming....that stuff is pretty f*cked up....

http://www.pinkcoyote.net/creativegrooming.html

norm said...

"everyone's an idiot at some point"

Yup....and some people type "to" when they should type "too".