Thursday, April 23, 2009

Can We Have a BBC America for America?


Okay, I know that doesn't make sense. But I've been enjoying BBC America so much lately, it makes me wish some American TV were more like it.

Not that we don't have a lot to be proud of here in the US of A. The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Fringe, Lost, 30 Rock, The Simpsons... all are among the best TV has to offer. And we export programming, too, like the perfectly named Amazing Race. I vividly remember being a little homesick in Milan, and how great it was to come across The Daily Show: Global Edition while channel surfing.

I actually wish we got to see more of those exports here. In fact, the only thing that will ease my pain when Celebrity Apprentice ends will be my delight when The Apprentice UK starts airing on BBCA.

But we could import more, too. For example, I wish our TV news were more like
World News America. And with all the excitement about Susan Boyle, don't you wish someone here would run Britain's Got Talent? Hell, NBC could run it instead of the lesser America's Got Talent, for my money. No offense to The Hoff.

And my absolute favorite cooking show is Gordon Ramsay's The F Word. I'd love to see an American version... but only if they don't fox it up the way they did Kitchen Nightmares. (If you have only seen the horror-show American Kitchen Nightmares, you owe it to yourself to see the U.K. version, which is actually funny and heartwarming.)

If we can't import all of British TV, can we at least import Cat Deeley?


2 comments:

Tim J. said...

Agreed! Although, my favorite BBC show - Top Gear -- just cancelled their plans for an Adam Corolla led American version. And I admit I'm a little relieved. I just don't think the irreverent sensibility and fearless criticism would ever survive the market forces of American TV.

gina said...

Top Gear is my favorite BBCA show and I am so happy to hear the news that they are (so far) not making an American version.